Monday, September 15, 2014

Through the Cracks

Google image
I have been thinking a lot about the sweet family I met yesterday.

While talking to the mother, she mentioned that she has lived her for three years.

I asked the bishopric counselor over primary if he could tell me anything about the family, and he didn't even know they existed!  I mean, he knew that someone lived in that house, but he didn't know they were members.

Which got me thinking.

They have been here for 3 years, and they were lost as to the records of the Church.  A few neighbors knew about them, but not many.

When I was a child, I knew everyone in my neighborhood.  Quite literally.  I was a papergirl and so I even knew the families without children in the home.  I knew everyone.  It saddens me so much that my children are growing up in a time where no one knows their neighbors.  People don't go outside anymore.  There is so much less human interaction.

I think if there had been more human interaction, this family would not have fallen through the cracks.  Which leads me to wonder about other families.  How many other families are in our ward that we simply don't know about?  How many other people are feeling lost or alone because we as a society are to scared to talk to others?

And the most important question of all.  What can I do about it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment